Meeting about Ubuntu-ZA monthly meeting

Convened at 2011-07-18 17:35:25.208647 by tumbleweed in #ubuntu-za on freenode

Minutes

[17:35:25] STARTED (tumbleweed)
[17:38:53] TOPIC: review previous minutes (maiatoday)
[17:46:26] AGREED: Wesley and Neil to help with more wiki/mailing/admin tasks (maiatoday)
[17:46:43] AGREED: maiatoday to make a suggestion job jar list on the mailing list (maiatoday)
[17:50:40] TOPIC: Feedback on Ubuntu CD's sent to regions (maiatoday)
[17:55:40] TOPIC: Feedback on LPI certifications (kbmonkey)
[18:00:12] AGREED: Wesley will post LPI information on ubuntu-za.org (kbmonkey)
[18:03:22] TOPIC: Ubuntu hours and meets (kbmonkey)
[18:14:02] ENDED (kbmonkey)

Present

Raw Log

[17:35:25] <tumbleweed> Maaz: start meeting about Ubuntu-ZA monthly meeting
[17:35:25] * Maaz gets out his memo-pad and cracks his knuckles
[17:35:43] <queery> maaz, i am dewald
[17:35:43] <Maaz> queery: Sure
[17:35:48] <maiatoday> Maaz I am Maia Grotepass
[17:35:48] <Maaz> maiatoday: Done
[17:35:56] <tumbleweed> Maaz: I am Stefano Rivera
[17:35:56] <Maaz> tumbleweed: Yessir
[17:35:57] <nlsthzn> Maaz, I am Neil Oosthuizen
[17:35:57] <Maaz> nlsthzn: Sure
[17:36:02] <Kilos> Maaz, i amj miles sharpe
[17:36:02] <Maaz> Kilos: What?
[17:36:11] <nlsthzn> :p
[17:36:12] <superfly> Maaz: I am Raoul Snyman
[17:36:12] <Maaz> superfly: Done
[17:36:15] <lost_and_unfound> Maaz, i am Wynand Meijer
[17:36:15] <Maaz> lost_and_unfound: Yessir
[17:36:16] <kbmonkey> Maaz, I am Wesley Werner
[17:36:16] <Maaz> kbmonkey: Sure
[17:36:16] <Kilos> Maaz, i am miles sharpe
[17:36:16] <Maaz> Kilos: Yessir
[17:36:41] <nlsthzn> maax: I am the easter bunny
[17:37:01] <tumbleweed> kbmonkey: I assume you are chairing?
[17:37:11] <kbmonkey> yes tumbleweed, lets see if Maaz will listen
[17:37:34] <tumbleweed> kbmonkey: he probably won't but maiatoday or I can repeat anything that he won't hear from you :)
[17:37:34] <queery> he should
[17:37:36] * nlsthzn hopes Maaz is going to be his charming self
[17:38:16]
[17:38:19] <maiatoday> http://loco.ubuntu.com/meetings/ubuntu-za/138/detail/
[17:38:38] <kbmonkey> Maaz, topic review previous minutes
[17:38:38] <Maaz> kbmonkey: You're not the boss of me
[17:38:44] <nlsthzn> lol
[17:38:46] <Kilos> lol
[17:38:49] <kbmonkey> I guess not
[17:38:53] <maiatoday> Maaz, topic review previous minutes
[17:38:53] <Maaz> Current Topic: review previous minutes
[17:38:54] <queery> haha
[17:39:06] <nlsthzn> kbmonkey, you need to speak with more authority
[17:39:36] <maiatoday> kbmonkey ignore the bot, just pretend she is listening I'll just paste what you say after you say it
[17:40:09] <Kilos> ping some of the lurkers to sign in
[17:40:09] * nlsthzn is getting dizzy jumping between the UCW and here...
[17:40:39] <Kilos> highvoltage, you sitting in?
[17:40:40] <kbmonkey> thanks folks
[17:40:51] <maiatoday> the minutes : http://maaz.mene.za.net/logs/meetings/freenode-%23ubuntu-za/2011-06-20-17-34-15.txt
[17:41:00] <kbmonkey> okay, last meeting we agreed to organise more task volunteers on the mailing list
[17:41:25] <highvoltage> Kilos: kind of listening with half an ear :)
[17:41:27] <maiatoday> yay and kbmonkey is doing the meetings
[17:41:44] <highvoltage> (at work so I have lots of distractions)
[17:41:47] <maiatoday> thanks for helping kbmonkey we'll smooth the hitches
[17:41:53] <Kilos> just tell maaz i am highvoltage
[17:42:05] <highvoltage> Maaz: i am highvoltage
[17:42:05] <Maaz> highvoltage: Done
[17:42:08] <Kilos> for attendance count\
[17:42:21] <nlsthzn> lol... maybe use your real name highvoltage
[17:42:22] <Kilos> Hodgestar, come on
[17:42:31] <maiatoday> so if anybody sees stuff they think should be done, jump in and help out
[17:42:32] <Kilos> lol
[17:42:34] <highvoltage> ah I thought highvoltage was my real name :)
[17:42:37] <kbmonkey> I believe that means via the mailing list, we need people to help out with admin stuff, maiatoday is pretty busy some times
[17:42:38] <highvoltage> Maaz: I am Jonathan Carter
[17:42:38] <Maaz> highvoltage: Righto
[17:43:08] <nlsthzn> maiatoday, how would we know what needs done... maybe some peeps need to blog about it ... like the news team... I helped them out :0
[17:43:23] <Kilos> sf55, scar[w] log in to the meeting please
[17:43:30] <lost_and_unfound> just to confirm, the mailing list will be ubuntu-za@lists.ubuntu.com ?
[17:43:35] <kbmonkey> I am happy to nominate myself, I am just ignorant about specific tasks, so just email them through to us maiatoday and we'll jump in
[17:43:47] <maiatoday> well at the moment I was just doing meetings and wiki and monthly report and queery was doing ubuntu hour and release party
[17:44:01] <maiatoday> we don't know the tasks we sortof make them up as we go
[17:44:08] <queery> and im ok doing that for now
[17:44:11] <maiatoday> roughly based on what we think needs to be done
[17:44:13] <nlsthzn> play it by ear :)
[17:44:28] <kbmonkey> okay, if there is any wiki stuff you want done, email that through maiatoday - we'll handle that too
[17:44:42] <maiatoday> what I am saying is if anybody wants to do something you don't need to wait for us
[17:45:03] * nlsthzn will do stuff...
[17:45:16] <maiatoday> also if anybody is organising anything like an ubuntu hour we can add it on ubuntu-za.org
[17:45:58] <queery> please do that at the moment only WC is posting there
[17:46:09] <maiatoday> ok I'll take an action to write sub-set list of things we can do
[17:46:14] <kbmonkey> Maaz, agreed Wesley and Neil to help with more wiki/mailing/admin tasks
[17:46:14] <Maaz> kbmonkey: You're not the boss of me
[17:46:24] <nlsthzn> hehe
[17:46:26] <maiatoday> Maaz, agreed Wesley and Neil to help with more wiki/mailing/admin tasks
[17:46:26] <Maaz> Agreed: Wesley and Neil to help with more wiki/mailing/admin tasks
[17:46:39] <tumbleweed> \o/
[17:46:42] <kbmonkey> just so everyone knows if they have any ideas
[17:46:43] <maiatoday> Maaz agreed maiatoday to make a suggestion job jar list on the mailing list
[17:46:43] <Maaz> Agreed: maiatoday to make a suggestion job jar list on the mailing list
[17:46:52] * nlsthzn will have a giggle everytime maaz says that
[17:46:58] <Kilos> ya
[17:47:01] <kbmonkey> great idea maiatoday
[17:47:17] <nlsthzn> +1
[17:47:20] <kbmonkey> okay, does anybody have anything to add?
[17:48:11] <lost_and_unfound> the mailing list... is that ubuntu-za@lists.ubuntu.com ?
[17:48:21] <tumbleweed> lost_and_unfound: yes
[17:48:32] <lost_and_unfound> ta
[17:48:38] <kbmonkey> correct lost_and_unfound
[17:48:52] <nlsthzn> are we automatically on the list when we are added on laucnhpad to za/
[17:48:56] <nlsthzn> ?
[17:49:01] <kbmonkey> the URL for the mailing list is https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-za
[17:49:05] <tumbleweed> nlsthzn: no
[17:49:28] <kbmonkey> you can subscribe via that link
[17:49:33] * nlsthzn thinks he is not on the mailing list... oh no wait he is... many problems has spammed his inbox
[17:49:40]
[17:50:07] <kbmonkey> okay let's move on...
[17:50:29] <kbmonkey> Maaz, topic Feedback on Ubuntu CD's sent to regions
[17:50:29] <Maaz> kbmonkey: Just do it yourself
[17:50:35] <nlsthzn> hehe
[17:50:40] <maiatoday> Maaz, topic Feedback on Ubuntu CD's sent to regions
[17:50:40] <Maaz> Current Topic: Feedback on Ubuntu CD's sent to regions
[17:50:58] <queery> i sent 1 CD and it has been received
[17:51:00] <queery> hehe
[17:51:12] <maiatoday> Ok I sent the parcels to the people who responded on my list. Some of them arrived I haven't got feedback from everybody yet
[17:51:25] <tumbleweed> maiatoday: saw your e-mail today, I'll organise collection soon, thanks
[17:51:30] <nlsthzn> the province of UAE has not received any as of yet... :/ ;)
[17:51:33] <maiatoday> Also I am hoping to get some photos so I can make a blog post
[17:51:49] <Kilos> can someone make not of asking cocooncrash to get Maaz working for kbmonkey as well
[17:51:50] <maiatoday> ok tumbleweed cool
[17:51:53] <kbmonkey> To those who received them, we need some photos of your parcel. Or better yet, photos of you handing them out to other people
[17:52:24] <maiatoday> I was hoping for just a pic with cd with two hands but anything will be good
[17:52:24] <lost_and_unfound> what happend with the 'freedom toaster' project. Not sure if that was also part of the loco's. Those unfamiliar, in short it's a stand alone pc in a stand and you just go there and select which distro you want to burn. http://www.meraka.org.za/news/2006/freedomtoast_6june06.html would that not help with distibution of disc's ?
[17:52:26] <queery> ooh good idea
[17:52:43] <nlsthzn> they still work at some uni's afaik
[17:52:46] <maiatoday> I saw the freedom toaster in the library at Stellenbosch last week
[17:52:59] <tumbleweed> lost_and_unfound: probably best discussed after the meeting, if you want more information on it
[17:53:16] <lost_and_unfound> perhaps some bigger malls would be a nice offset if we can get some sponsorss ?
[17:53:27] * nuvolari pulls out his hair
[17:53:34] <maiatoday> So the plan is before the next release which is an LTS I'll update the list of regional contacts and then when the CDs get here I'll to the contacts again
[17:53:42] <Kilos> nuvolari, youre late
[17:53:46] <nuvolari> the first time ubuntu lets me down with the audio
[17:53:50] <nlsthzn> maiatoday, next isn't lts
[17:54:03] <cocooncrash> Maaz: grant chairmeeting to kbmonkey when authed
[17:54:03] <Maaz> cocooncrash: Alrighty
[17:54:09] <nuvolari> Kilos: I know oom, but rather late/no meeting than no sound. and Im stuck without sound now :(
[17:54:12] <maiatoday> ok then we'll practise till the lts comes around :)
[17:54:14] <kbmonkey> thanks cocooncrash
[17:54:20] <nlsthzn> :)
[17:54:21] <maiatoday> thanks cocooncrash
[17:54:24] <kbmonkey> practice makes perfect.
[17:54:49] <kbmonkey> I can take some photos of CD's you sent me maiatoday, but I'll make a mission to hand them out soon
[17:54:59] <maiatoday> Also I am happy to say one of the contacts put some money in my bank account for postage
[17:55:09] <Kilos> nuvolari, di the i am bit
[17:55:15] <Kilos> do
[17:55:16] <nlsthzn> nice
[17:55:26] <maiatoday> kbmonkey: we could probably move on
[17:55:30] <kbmonkey> agreed.
[17:55:40] <kbmonkey> Maaz, topic Feedback on LPI certifications
[17:55:40] <Maaz> Current Topic: Feedback on LPI certifications
[17:55:46] <nlsthzn> yeah
[17:56:02] <kbmonkey> thought I'd mention this again
[17:56:06] <Skarr[m]> my adsl stopped working today :(
[17:56:08] * nlsthzn is a neophyte on the lpi study group
[17:56:24] <nuvolari> Maaz: I am Johan Mynhardt
[17:56:24] <Maaz> nuvolari: Righto
[17:56:25] <kbmonkey> the LPI (Linux Professional Institute) offers certifications.
[17:56:56] <nuvolari> thanks oom Kilos
[17:56:58] <nuvolari> :P
[17:56:58] <kbmonkey> we have set up a mailing list for discussion surrounding that, if anyone is interested, whether you want to write the exams, or just learn with us, visit http://groups.google.com/group/linux-studies
[17:57:05] <Kilos> nuvolari, yw
[17:57:40] <Skarr[m]> Maaz: I am Willem Dreyer
[17:57:40] <Maaz> Skarr[m]: Okay
[17:57:43] <kbmonkey> I have received lots of interest from Ubuntu-ZA and the Durban LUG.
[17:57:47] <nuvolari> Maaz: lpi.link
[17:57:47] <Maaz> nuvolari: lpi.link is http://groups.google.com/group/linux-studies
[17:58:14] <nlsthzn> even from over seas
[17:58:31] <nuvolari> yebo
[17:58:37] <kbmonkey> yes the group is for anyone, we help another online
[17:58:38] <nuvolari> we're not bound by landscapes
[17:58:56] <nuvolari> except we can't go to UAE for exams :P
[17:59:18] <nlsthzn> would it be ok if I tried to get a few more peeps here in on the action... we have exam centres/
[17:59:19] <kbmonkey> There's an international group who does the same, they use mumble and audio conferencing, but not all of us have that luxury, so we will stick to emial and irc
[17:59:19] <nlsthzn> ?
[17:59:34] <maiatoday> kbmonkey do you want to post info about this on ubuntu-za.org?
[17:59:36] <kbmonkey> good idea nlsthzn, I have the same idea
[17:59:40] <Kilos> enquire if nlsthzn can skype the exam so someone can watch him
[17:59:48] <nlsthzn> hehe
[17:59:57] <kbmonkey> maiatoday, I will do so, thanks
[18:00:12] <kbmonkey> Maaz, agreed Wesley will post LPI information on ubuntu-za.org
[18:00:12] <Maaz> Agreed: Wesley will post LPI information on ubuntu-za.org
[18:00:29] <nuvolari> brb. restart and hope my audio worx
[18:01:00] <kbmonkey> did Maaz hear me?
[18:01:17] <Kilos> lol
[18:01:21] <tumbleweed> kbmonkey: shuttleworth foundation used to offer the paper LPI exams locally, ocassionaly. Spoken to any of the guys who used to run them?
[18:01:24] <Kilos> he had to think first
[18:02:20] <kbmonkey> tumbleweed, no not yet. I made contact with the training center in JHB but there are none for us in KZN. Apprently we can write them and Coptia centers, and I will coordinate with the LPI foundation, more on this on the list though.
[18:02:27] * nlsthzn will rally up interest in the UAE...
[18:02:31] <kbmonkey> *Comptia
[18:02:49] <kbmonkey> thanks nlsthzn!
[18:02:57] <kbmonkey> okay I think we can move on
[18:03:01] <tumbleweed> kbmonkey: cool
[18:03:22] <kbmonkey> Maaz, topic Ubuntu hours and meets
[18:03:22] <Maaz> Current Topic: Ubuntu hours and meets
[18:03:55] <kbmonkey> I'll be the first to admit I have been too bad in not organizing more hours
[18:04:11] <kbmonkey> So as a reminder, let us have more Ubuntu hours! :)
[18:04:17] <maiatoday> if it wasn't for queery the hours here would dwindle too
[18:04:44] <maiatoday> thank you queery
[18:04:50] <kbmonkey> So I will make some plans with my local peeps (nuvolari)
[18:04:51] <queery> hehe but i also forget
[18:05:01] <nlsthzn> lol
[18:05:24] <kbmonkey> and I prod everyone else to do the same where possible
[18:05:39] <kbmonkey> if anyone present would like to say so now...?
[18:06:03] * nlsthzn is a tad far
[18:06:10] * kbmonkey adds ubuntu hour to ~/todo
[18:06:40] * queery does so too
[18:07:06] <kbmonkey> on a semi-related note, to get attention and promote the logo when in coffee shops: where can we get stickers or decals?
[18:07:41] <tumbleweed> I have the ubuntu-za table cloth and banner
[18:07:43] <maiatoday> I still have some stickers I had made, also you can have some made the images are on spread ubuntu
[18:07:46] <queery> maiatoday has some left
[18:07:52] <tumbleweed> anyone is welcome to get it from me if they need it
[18:08:32] <kbmonkey> okay I'll grab those images and get some quotes.
[18:08:46] <kbmonkey> where are you base tumbleweed?
[18:08:52] <tumbleweed> kbmonkey: UCT
[18:08:53] <kbmonkey> *based
[18:09:09] <tumbleweed> (cape town)
[18:09:12]
[18:09:18] <kbmonkey> ah, okay in that case rather give them to someone there along with an Ubuntu CD. I'll get some printer
[18:09:29] * nlsthzn couldn't type anymore :/
[18:09:38] <kbmonkey> sorry my fingers are going too fast
[18:09:58] <nuvolari> iz back with audiowaves
[18:10:06] <kbmonkey> does anyone want to add anything on this note?
[18:10:07] <Kilos> yay
[18:10:28] <nuvolari> are we still on the LPI topic?
[18:10:44] <kbmonkey> we are on Ubuntu hours nuvolari :)
[18:10:52] <nuvolari> bah :-/
[18:11:05] <nuvolari> oh, ya we should organise one
[18:11:17] <nuvolari> uh... was'nt it my turn??
[18:11:23] <kbmonkey> that topic was more of a casual mention, any in-depth talk about it would be appreciated on it's mailing list rather :)
[18:11:24] * nuvolari totally forgot
[18:11:39] <nlsthzn> crap... I have some outstanding dishes :/ cheers all... sorry for bailing a bit early... keep up the awesome work... you guys rock!
[18:12:02] <Kilos> cheers nlsthzn
[18:12:18] <kbmonkey> i have some free time now nuvolari, apart from studying, so i can take a road trip to your side this time :)
[18:12:25] <kbmonkey> ciao nlsthzn
[18:12:31] <nlsthzn> just for lols before I go http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11060408&postcount=353
[18:12:38] <nuvolari> kbmonkey: I just need to find an open weekend
[18:12:40] <queery> is the meeting still going?
[18:12:43] <nuvolari> my parents are visiting
[18:12:50] <nuvolari> so a bit busy :P
[18:12:54] <kbmonkey> that's fine, my people will call your people, we'll coordinate
[18:12:58] <Kilos> queery, yes
[18:13:06] <queery> oh ok
[18:13:11] <kbmonkey> I think the meeting is about done
[18:13:12] <maiatoday> I think we are about done, queery
[18:13:16] <maiatoday> snap :)
[18:13:22] <Kilos> lol
[18:13:23] <queery> hehe ok
[18:13:29] <kbmonkey> :)
[18:13:35] <maiatoday> you can end it kbmonkey
[18:13:38] <lost_and_unfound> on the ubuntu hours, probly a bit late, but the coming week it is Internetix, would that not be an idea to get into some of those types of shows ? Was also at rewired a few weeks back.
[18:13:39] <kbmonkey> how do I tell Maaz to end?
[18:13:42] * Kilos thanks kbmonkey maiatoday tumbleweed
[18:14:02] <kbmonkey> Maaz, end meeting