Meeting about IRC Monthly meet for 15 Aug 2011

Convened at 2011-08-15 17:35:56.460003 by kbmonkey in #ubuntu-za on freenode

Minutes

[17:35:56] STARTED (kbmonkey)
[17:39:25] TOPIC: Review previous meeting minutes (kbmonkey)
[17:51:00] TOPIC: Software Freedom Day (kbmonkey)
[17:58:54] TOPIC: Oneiric Jam and Release party (kbmonkey)
[18:07:00] AGREED: maiatoday will start western province release party planning (maiatoday)
[18:07:33] AGREED: tumbleweed will organise a cape town global jam (tumbleweed)
[18:07:49] AGREED: kbmonkey will start kwa-zulu release party planning (kbmonkey)
[18:19:53] ENDED (kbmonkey)

Present

Raw Log

[17:35:56] <kbmonkey> Maaz start meeting about IRC Monthly meet for 15 Aug 2011
[17:35:56] * Maaz gets out his memo-pad and cracks his knuckles
[17:36:05] <maiatoday> Maaz I am Maia Grotepass
[17:36:05] <Maaz> maiatoday: Done
[17:36:11] <kbmonkey> thanks tumbleweed :)
[17:36:13] <tumbleweed> Maaz: I am Stefano Rivera
[17:36:13] <Maaz> tumbleweed: Yessir
[17:36:17] <kbmonkey> Maaz I am Wesley Werner
[17:36:17] <Maaz> kbmonkey: Righto
[17:36:23] <nlsthzn_work> Maaz: I am Neil Oosthuizen
[17:36:23] <Maaz> nlsthzn_work: Righto
[17:36:24] <Kilos> Maaz, I am Miles Sharpe
[17:36:24] <Maaz> Kilos: Okay
[17:36:39] <superfly> Maaz: I am Raoul Snyman
[17:36:39] <Maaz> superfly: Okay
[17:37:25] <Kilos> highvoltage, login
[17:37:29] <nuvolari> :O iz I late?
[17:37:35] <kbmonkey> hi nuvolari, just in time
[17:37:36] <Kilos> drubin, login
[17:37:40] <nuvolari> whoot!
[17:37:51] <Kilos> aquarat_, login
[17:37:53] <nuvolari> Maaz: I am Johan Mynhardt
[17:37:53] <Maaz> nuvolari: Righto
[17:37:57] <kbmonkey> _everyone tell Maaz your name_
[17:38:09] <nuvolari> g'evening everyone
[17:38:15] <Kilos> lurkers come alive
[17:39:10] <kbmonkey> okay... :)
[17:39:25] <kbmonkey> Maaz topic Review previous meeting minutes
[17:39:25] <Maaz> Current Topic: Review previous meeting minutes
[17:39:45] <maiatoday> I appologise I haven't made a job jar
[17:39:49] <kbmonkey> the url is: http://loco.ubuntu.com/meetings/ubuntu-za/140/detail/
[17:40:53] <kbmonkey> that's okay maiatoday :)
[17:41:15] <maiatoday> also we haven't had an ubuntu hour in a while but poor queery is writing his thesis as we speak
[17:41:32] <kbmonkey> did we have any more feedback from ubuntu CD's?
[17:41:50] <maiatoday> I got one batch of photos and feedback that people got the CDs
[17:42:08] <maiatoday> I can actually post the photos I got on my blog but it is only from one person
[17:42:14] <maiatoday> I'll add my photos
[17:42:24] <nuvolari> I'm afraid I got burried under work lately :'(
[17:43:04] <kbmonkey> yup
[17:43:16] <nuvolari> when last did we see corrie?
[17:43:24] <kbmonkey> good idea maiatoday :)
[17:43:27] <nuvolari> Maaz: seen corrie206
[17:43:27] <Maaz> nuvolari: corrie206 was last seen 8 months, 11 days, 1 hour, 2 minutes and 1 second ago in #ubuntu-za on freenode [2010-12-07 18:41:26 SAST], and has been offline on freenode since 2011-05-17 14:55:30 SAST
[17:43:55] <kbmonkey> that doesn't seem right, is it?
[17:44:24] <maiatoday> is there anything else on the minutes we should add/discuss?
[17:44:33] <tumbleweed> yeah. I haven't picked up my CDs yet :(
[17:44:37] * tumbleweed was away for a few weeks
[17:44:45] * tumbleweed promises to do something about it
[17:44:55] <maiatoday> they are on top of my sister's fridge next to the cat food :)
[17:44:59] <kbmonkey> send us photos when you do tumbleweed
[17:45:09] <tumbleweed> maiatoday: :)
[17:45:12] <tumbleweed> kbmonkey: sure
[17:45:18] <kbmonkey> tux like catfood? :)
[17:45:26] <tumbleweed> have you seen how fat he is?
[17:45:42] <kbmonkey> there the LPI discussions we want to get going
[17:46:21] <kbmonkey> we'll start a topic on the study material in order of the book
[17:46:46] <maiatoday> sounds good
[17:46:53] <kbmonkey> I'll put the link to subscribe here for completeness
[17:46:58] <kbmonkey> .. when i find it
[17:47:14] <kbmonkey> http://groups.google.com/group/linux-studies/about
[17:47:34]
[17:47:38] <kbmonkey> and then... ah ubuntu hours and meets :)
[17:47:38] <nuvolari> Maaz: lpi.link
[17:47:38] <Maaz> nuvolari: lpi.link is http://groups.google.com/group/linux-studies
[17:47:46] <nuvolari> kbmonkey: ^^ :P
[17:48:08] <nuvolari> oh
[17:48:11] <nuvolari> should we change it?
[17:48:18] <kbmonkey> now nuvolari we will plan one for kzn
[17:48:20] <kbmonkey> :]
[17:48:25] <kbmonkey> no its the same url
[17:48:33] <nuvolari> not 100%
[17:48:48] <nuvolari> missing /about
[17:49:14] <kbmonkey> the about page just tells you the group's purpose and description
[17:49:15] <nuvolari> ya, I need to plan it good! was supposed to be the past july eh?
[17:49:19] <nuvolari> *cough*
[17:49:31] <kbmonkey> i don't mind driving up this time
[17:49:47] <kbmonkey> let's find out who else might be keen and talk logistics
[17:49:56] <kbmonkey> and eat cake
[17:50:11] <nuvolari> oh ya, I need to find out where we'll have access to wifi and wall outlets
[17:50:24] <nuvolari> ooh, now I'm craving cheesecake
[17:50:42] <kbmonkey> that's done, next topic?
[17:50:57] <maiatoday> sfd?
[17:51:00] <nuvolari> :-/ only kzn ubuntu hour planned?
[17:51:00] <kbmonkey> Maaz topic Software Freedom Day
[17:51:00] <Maaz> Current Topic: Software Freedom Day
[17:51:09] <kbmonkey> oh sorry
[17:51:15] <kbmonkey> am I moving too fast? :p
[17:51:30] <nuvolari> dunno :P the others held their peace
[17:51:56] <nuvolari> if my english doesn't make sense, please ignore
[17:51:56] <maiatoday> drubin made the agenda point for sfd, he can't be here does anyone know if anything is happening for sfd?
[17:51:58] * nlsthzn_work lurks at ease with the current pace of the meeting... carry on...
[17:52:02] <kbmonkey> if we have any lurkers who feel compelled to say hello don't be shy :)
[17:52:47] <nuvolari> we should plan an official Goorola day
[17:52:49] <nuvolari> :P
[17:53:00] <kbmonkey> the link for sfd is http://softwarefreedomday.org/
[17:53:41] <kbmonkey> 32 days left until sfd hits us
[17:54:08] <kbmonkey> i'd like to try and plan something
[17:54:39] * tumbleweed has a freedom toaster that needs fixing
[17:54:59] <kbmonkey> a freedom toaster? I've always wanted to see one in action
[17:54:59] <tumbleweed> but that's in TSL at UCT, which is probably where we'd hold a global jam, if we do one (unless anyone has any better ideas for that)
[17:55:34] <tumbleweed> http://wiki.clug.org.za/wiki/Freedom_Toaster lol it says it's working
[17:55:45] <maiatoday> according to the sfd map sulug is doing something for sfd
[17:55:58] <tumbleweed> ah, good
[17:56:51] <tumbleweed> that's the friday, it's also possible to do something on the weekend
[17:57:00]
[17:57:05] <maiatoday> I am just asking in their channel to see if anyone has more detail
[17:57:14] <kbmonkey> okay we can get drubin to fill us in later, meanwhile that site will explain a lot
[17:57:39] <tumbleweed> http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2011/South%20Africa/Stellenbosch/SULUG
[17:57:41] <tumbleweed> not much there
[17:58:00] <nuvolari> kbmonkey: isn't there a DLUG event around the corner too?
[17:58:07] <maiatoday> I think we should move on.
[17:58:16] <nuvolari> think I've seen something flash by
[17:58:24] <kbmonkey> thx nuvolari making a note of that
[17:58:32] <kbmonkey> movnig on
[17:58:54] <kbmonkey> Maaz topic Oneiric Jam and Release party
[17:58:54] <Maaz> Current Topic: Oneiric Jam and Release party
[17:59:22] <maiatoday> lets have at least a release party
[17:59:33] <maiatoday> I haven't seen everybody in ages
[17:59:45] <kbmonkey> That is Oct 13
[18:00:35] <maiatoday> shall we have a release party in CT for a change for western cape area?
[18:00:58] <tumbleweed> I'm also keen to get a jam in
[18:01:33] <maiatoday> I'd love to do both but I have a huge deadline for 5 nov, so I could attend both but only organise one with assistance
[18:01:51] * tumbleweed is in about the same position
[18:02:06] <kbmonkey> who else in CT would like to help organize?
[18:02:08] <maiatoday> what kind of jam did you want to do tumbleweed, packaging?
[18:02:09] <tumbleweed> I can certainly do some talks at a jam and help people with development
[18:02:46] <tumbleweed> maiatoday: packaging, bug fixing, overview of ubuntu dveevelopment, I can do all that
[18:02:56] <tumbleweed> I'd love to cover other areas, but that's not me
[18:03:20] <maiatoday> ok, there isn't anyone from stellenbosch university here so I don't know what they want to do
[18:03:29] <maiatoday> I'll come through to UCT if it's there
[18:03:50] <kbmonkey> okay that sounds good
[18:04:25] <tumbleweed> we are starting to get enough people involved in devolpment to actually do some development jamming
[18:04:43] <tumbleweed> (provided they can all make it)
[18:05:08] <maiatoday> ok I'll try to get the organising going for the release party
[18:05:13] <kbmonkey> dev jamming sounds fun
[18:05:57] <kbmonkey> and I'll see about meets and a release party here :)
[18:06:23] <kbmonkey> any other regions who might like to party?
[18:06:32] <tumbleweed> an option for software freedom day is a "bring your broken install" but we tend to do that at jams and install parties too
[18:07:00] <maiatoday> Maaz agreed maiatoday will start western province release party planning
[18:07:00] <Maaz> Agreed: maiatoday will start western province release party planning
[18:07:33] <tumbleweed> Maaz: agreed tumbleweed will organise a cape town global jam
[18:07:33] <Maaz> Agreed: tumbleweed will organise a cape town global jam
[18:07:49] <kbmonkey> Maaz agreed kbmonkey will start kwa-zulu release party planning
[18:07:49] <Maaz> Agreed: kbmonkey will start kwa-zulu release party planning
[18:08:10] <maiatoday> Yay!
[18:08:13] <kbmonkey> yay!
[18:08:20] <maiatoday> snap
[18:08:21] <nlsthzn_work> Thats a lot of partying :)
[18:08:59] <kbmonkey> sure, we can't be all work he he
[18:09:12] <kbmonkey> I think we covered the last topic in the minutes review
[18:09:30] <nlsthzn_work> :'(
[18:09:51] <kbmonkey> to refresh: I'll start some LPI discussion on the list, I'm unsure where everybody else is in the material so we'll go from the start
[18:10:13] * nlsthzn_work likes the start... it is always at the beginning
[18:10:27] <kbmonkey> the hardware theory it starts out with can be intimidating to some
[18:10:41] <nlsthzn_work> *boring*
[18:10:43] <kbmonkey> so we can start and focus on that, make it easy to learn :)
[18:10:45] <Kilos> lol
[18:10:49] <kbmonkey> *agreed*
[18:10:52] <kbmonkey> lol
[18:11:47] <Kilos> the hardware part is the only understandable part
[18:11:54] <kbmonkey> that link again
[18:11:59] <kbmonkey> Maaz link.lpi
[18:11:59] <Maaz> kbmonkey: What?
[18:12:10] <kbmonkey> Maaz lpi.link
[18:12:10] <Maaz> kbmonkey: lpi.link is http://groups.google.com/group/linux-studies
[18:12:33] <nlsthzn_work> The mailing list has been a bit... well... inactive...
[18:12:36] <kbmonkey> dyslexic keybaord
[18:12:56] <Kilos> the ghost didnt even login
[18:13:05] <kbmonkey> well nlsthzn i guess that's a sign that everyone's machines are working :D
[18:13:09] <Kilos> we only 7 or so. that suucks
[18:13:12] <maiatoday> everything has been a bit inactive :(
[18:13:32] <nlsthzn_work> I was reffering about LPI :p
[18:13:37] <kbmonkey> but maybe some light talks on semi-related stuff
[18:13:44] <nlsthzn_work> The study group isn't doing much (yet)
[18:14:09] <maiatoday> we can wrap up kbmonkey?
[18:14:17] <nlsthzn_work> Would it be able to have workshops online
[18:14:27] <kbmonkey> nlsthzn we can surely try that!
[18:14:28] <nlsthzn_work> with slides etc. using lernid?
[18:14:56] <nlsthzn_work> and some excercises and setting up remote systems to use to test theory and check understanding?
[18:14:58] <kbmonkey> also if you want to help me to start with hosting discussions on the list
[18:14:59] <maiatoday> if you want to use lernid you'll have to speak to the ubuntu-classroom people
[18:15:27] * nlsthzn_work is just thinking out loud :p
[18:15:31] <kbmonkey> this can go for the ubuntu-za list too
[18:16:16] <kbmonkey> my inbox has suffered some attention lately, but we'll get it done :)
[18:16:31] <maiatoday> nlsthzn_work: I think lernid works well and it would be good to have classes there but we will need to organise
[18:16:38] <kbmonkey> anything else to add maiatoday ?
[18:16:50] <maiatoday> nope
[18:17:10] <kbmonkey> yes we could use the mailing list for now until we need lernid
[18:17:16] <nlsthzn_work> maiatoday: I am sure they will be forth coming... if the class is empty :p
[18:17:53] <nlsthzn_work> kbmonkey: I think everyone is waiting got something to happen about the study group... someone to take charge :)
[18:17:58] <kbmonkey> okay then i'll wrap it up
[18:18:28] <Kilos> thnks guys and gal
[18:18:44] <kbmonkey> well self study is about just that, so if you want to setup learning schedules would that help?
[18:19:40] <kbmonkey> ah okay we will throw some idea around nlsthzn
[18:19:53] <kbmonkey> Maaz end meeting