Meeting about Monthly Ubuntu-ZA IRC meet

Convened at 2014-03-25 18:33:36.574613 by kbmonkey in #ubuntu-za on freenode


[18:33:36] STARTED (kbmonkey)
[18:34:47] TOPIC: Welcoming and Introduction (kbmonkey)
[18:39:21] TOPIC: Review previous minutes (kbmonkey)
[18:53:53] TOPIC: Events (kbmonkey)
[18:56:00] IDEA: SFD 20 Sep (kbmonkey)
[19:03:25] IDEA: Waiting for Ubuntu 14.04 DVD's before discussing distribution (kbmonkey)
[19:12:51] AGREED: 14.04 release parties planning via mailing list (kbmonkey)
[19:17:53] TOPIC: Miscellaneous (kbmonkey)
[19:33:26] TOPIC: Elect chair for next meeting (kbmonkey)
[19:35:13] AGREED: kbmonkey to chair the meeting on 22 April 2014 (kbmonkey)
[19:36:11] TOPIC: Closing words (kbmonkey)
[19:37:22] ENDED (kbmonkey)


Raw Log

[18:33:36] <kbmonkey> Maaz, start meeting about Monthly Ubuntu-ZA IRC meet
[18:33:36] * Maaz gets out his memo-pad and cracks his knuckles
[18:33:43] <superfly> Maaz: I am Raoul Snyman
[18:33:43] <Maaz> superfly: Sure
[18:33:56] <Kilos> hi superfly
[18:33:58] * superfly bows out of the meeting now, he has housework to do
[18:33:59] <kbmonkey> Maaz, I am Wesley Werner
[18:33:59] <Maaz> kbmonkey: Sure
[18:34:08] <Kilos> Maaz I am Miles Sharpe
[18:34:08] <Maaz> Kilos: Okay
[18:34:25] <inetpro> Maaz: I am Gustav H Meyer
[18:34:25] <Maaz> inetpro: Done
[18:34:25] <Kilos> ty for popping in superfly
[18:34:35] <captine> Maaz I am Bradley Putzier
[18:34:35] <Maaz> captine: Alrighty
[18:34:47] <kbmonkey> Maaz, topic Welcoming and Introduction
[18:34:47] <Maaz> Current Topic: Welcoming and Introduction
[18:35:08] <kbmonkey> Hello everyone and welcome to the Ubuntu ZA IRC meet!
[18:35:10] <Golynx> Maaz I am Jarryd Lynx
[18:35:10] <Maaz> Golynx: Yessir
[18:35:11] <Kilos> wb georgl
[18:35:27] <kbmonkey> you may tell our minute taker Maaz who you are
[18:35:30] <Vince-0> Maaz I am Vincent Swart
[18:35:30] <Maaz> Vince-0: Okay
[18:35:34] <Vince-0> kbmonkey: Sup
[18:35:42] <kbmonkey> hey hey Vince-0 !
[18:35:53] <liamT> Maaz: Liam Thompson
[18:35:53] <Maaz> liamT: What?
[18:35:58] <amanica> Maaz, I am Marius Kruger
[18:35:58] <Maaz> amanica: Alrighty
[18:36:19] <kbmonkey> The agenda for today's meet can be seen at
[18:36:42] <inetpro> liamT: Maaz: I am ...
[18:37:01] <liamT> Maaz I am Liam Thompson
[18:37:01] <Maaz> liamT: Done
[18:37:12] <kbmonkey> That's it :)
[18:37:43] <georgl> hi hi
[18:38:08] <kbmonkey> Anyone else is free to tell Maaz their name throughout the meet too
[18:38:26] <kbmonkey> hello georgl
[18:38:57] <georgl> hi
[18:39:02] <kbmonkey> so let's get going!
[18:39:12] <charl> Maaz: i am Charl van Niekerk
[18:39:12] <Maaz> charl: Okay
[18:39:21] <kbmonkey> Maaz, topic Review previous minutes
[18:39:21] <Maaz> Current Topic: Review previous minutes
[18:39:33] <kbmonkey> oh by the way nice to see everyone again!
[18:39:53] <Kilos> hi Private_User sign in with maaz please
[18:41:04] <Kilos> yeah kbmonkey we just kinda min
[18:41:15] <kbmonkey> So the minutes from the last meet can be seen at
[18:41:23] <captine> am checking them now
[18:41:42] <kbmonkey> We agreed that mandatory nick registrations would not be needed.
[18:42:07] <Kilos> hmm...
[18:42:20] <maiatoday> Maaz: I am Maia Grotepass
[18:42:20] <Maaz> maiatoday: Yessir
[18:42:40] <Kilos> ai! maaz maiatoday be a lady
[18:42:50] <Kilos> stupid bot
[18:43:32] <kbmonkey> Also, the 15th was hardware freedom day. Did anybody do anything special that day?
[18:44:11] <Kilos> i think thats when i got a telkom modem
[18:44:20] <captine> didnt know it was that day... Owning a mac probably excludes me from celebrating... ;)
[18:44:37] <kbmonkey> heh captine :P
[18:44:58] <Kilos> hehe
[18:45:03] <captine> Speaking of hardware freedom, are there any vendors selling linux hardware like system76 in the US?
[18:45:12] <captine> Anyone know?
[18:45:29] <captine> might be off topic. sorry
[18:45:42] <kbmonkey> captine, there was a thread about this on the mailing list, I recall some sites were mentioned...
[18:45:47] <Kilos> linux hardware?
[18:45:49] <liamT> no idea sorry
[18:46:01] <amanica> also didn't know about hw freedom day, it is AFAIK arduino day this saturday
[18:46:17] <captine> Kilos, yip. i.e. hardware put together to ensure compatibility with linux from bios to wifi to graphics
[18:46:32] <Kilos> wow that sounds cool
[18:46:34] <kbmonkey> Kilos, buying a pc or laptop with Linux out of the box
[18:47:01] <Golynx> hardware freedom day ? nope never heard of it
[18:47:05] <captine> I contacted to find out about resellers in SA etc, but they dont have plans to expand to our little country just yet
[18:48:03] <Kilos> in za we force whatever hardware we have to accept linux
[18:48:13] <Golynx> i'm sure the guys at ##hardware threw a big party lol
[18:48:31] <captine> Kilos, lol. agree
[18:48:52] <Golynx> yeah Kilos
[18:49:03] <liamT> it at least teaches you
[18:49:21] <Kilos> yeah but can be tiring at times
[18:49:30] <kbmonkey> ah, here we go. captine you can try this thread:
[18:49:32] <captine> for sure
[18:49:53] <Kilos> hi BothWays-Saucy
[18:50:19] <Kilos> bot time again
[18:50:19] <Maaz> Kilos: Huh?
[18:50:25] <Kilos> ai!
[18:50:30] <kbmonkey> Kilos, do you know what admin or announcements nuvolari had in mind?
[18:50:31] <BothWays-Saucy> hi .. just got the message ,... thru google .. Aloha from the IOM .. good luck guys !
[18:50:47] <kbmonkey> if not I will skip to Events topic
[18:50:49] <Kilos> welcome to ubuntu-za BothWays-Saucy
[18:51:08] <kbmonkey> yes welcome BothWays-Saucy
[18:51:18] <Golynx> hiBothWays-Saucy
[18:51:22] <captine> kbmonkey, thanks. zareason and system76 are not shipping to SA..
[18:51:26] <captine> unfortunately
[18:51:27] <BothWays-Saucy> ok .. I will sit back for a while .. good luck for 14.04
[18:51:43] <Kilos> ty BothWays-Saucy
[18:51:57] <captine> kbmonkey, not sure the market is big enough here, esp with government not encouraging opensource software (from what I understand)
[18:52:25] <Kilos> BothWays-Saucy where is IOM
[18:53:30] <Kilos> nope kbmonkey sorry thats a mont ago you know
[18:53:37] <Kilos> month
[18:53:47] <kbmonkey> ah sorry about that captine. I was hoping that thread would lead to at least one site.
[18:53:53] <Golynx> Aloha is Hawaian
[18:53:53] <kbmonkey> Maaz, topic Events
[18:53:53] <Maaz> Current Topic: Events
[18:54:05] <BothWays-Saucy> google : #manx
[18:54:36] <kbmonkey> So upcoming, on the 20th September
[18:55:02] <amanica> eish so soon again, totally burned out on the last one..
[18:55:23] <kbmonkey> I'm going ahead and adding a reminder for this so long
[18:55:44] <Kilos> september is far still man
[18:56:00] <kbmonkey> Maaz, idea SFD 20 Sep
[18:56:00] <Maaz> Idea recorded: SFD 20 Sep
[18:56:40] <kbmonkey> ey Kilos us old folks don't have such good memories anymore ;)
[18:56:49] <Kilos> hahaha
[18:57:06] <inetpro> kbmonkey: Trusty Tahr (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), scheduled for release on 17 April 2014
[18:57:12] <kbmonkey> I wont ask to set up meeting plans this early, but check out the site!
[18:57:15] <Kilos> did you read the minutes
[18:57:25] <Kilos> he musta logged something
[18:57:47] <amanica> any plans for release parties this time round? :)
[18:58:01] <BothWays-Saucy> +1
[18:58:15] <kbmonkey> this is before the next irc meet!
[18:58:46] <Kilos> ask maiatoday she is good at planning things
[18:58:52] <kbmonkey> I think Durban can have a celebratory party at our usual Gloria Jeans coffee shoppe
[18:59:03] <captine> SFD... looks good.
[18:59:04] <maiatoday> I don't know of any
[18:59:14] <maiatoday> I am away until 14 april
[18:59:20] <kbmonkey> I will try take lead on this with william and Vince-0
[18:59:25] <captine> anyone here from Jhb area?
[18:59:26] <maiatoday> I did put the order in for the DVDs
[18:59:35] <Kilos> wow maiatoday busy bee hey
[18:59:43] <kbmonkey> ah great thank you so much maiatoday :)
[18:59:57] <maiatoday> So hopefully we won't have any customs problems
[18:59:57] <captine> maiatoday, where do you order? from ubuntu direct?
[19:00:46] <maiatoday> Only the team contact of approved locos can request the dvds
[19:00:54] <maiatoday> so I got an email and then put the request in on the website
[19:00:56] <liamT> captine: i'm in jhb
[19:00:58] <Golynx> DVD's ? where how is this possible ?
[19:01:07] <kbmonkey> yes, and then maia distributes them from there to us
[19:01:20] <maiatoday> once the box gets here I'll make up some parcels
[19:01:35] <maiatoday> before then I'll send out a mail and find out who is willing to distribute in the area
[19:01:46] <amanica> captine: I'm from Roodepoort; had a dismal release part for 13.04 I think we should do one in PTA again..
[19:02:02] <maiatoday> I'll do this on the mailing list again unless people want to do the comms elsewhere
[19:02:04] <amanica> (was in randburg)
[19:02:09] <kbmonkey> maiatoday, yes please email. I be willing to sponsor some cash if need be.
[19:02:22] <captine> liamT, amanica I am in Boskruin (randburg)
[19:02:29] <maiatoday> ok cool lets talk about it once the box gets here
[19:02:31] <Golynx> maiatoday: okay so that how it works now , thanks
[19:02:35] <kbmonkey> right
[19:03:25] <kbmonkey> Maaz, idea Waiting for Ubuntu 14.04 DVD's before discussing distribution
[19:03:25] <Maaz> Idea recorded: Waiting for Ubuntu 14.04 DVD's before discussing distribution
[19:03:37] <captine> maiatoday, awesome.
[19:03:50] <captine> would love a dvd.
[19:04:02] <inetpro> maiatoday: how many did you order?
[19:04:06] <maiatoday> we usually have about 20 people on the list. I just divvy up the dvds.
[19:04:14] <maiatoday> you can't choose, the numbers are fixed
[19:04:18] <Kilos> wb magespawn
[19:04:30] <inetpro> ok
[19:04:32] <maiatoday> something like 25 server 125 desktop
[19:04:38] <maiatoday> can't remember exactly
[19:04:44] <kbmonkey> I'm generally happy to part with the DVD once I made an ISO copy of it
[19:04:44] <captine> sounds good
[19:04:59] <kbmonkey> I'd rather let someone else grab it to get excited ;)
[19:05:14] <captine> amanica, I struggle to get out with a little dude having recently been born, but would be keen for a release party. never been to one.
[19:05:16] <magespawn> Are we meeting?
[19:05:25] <maiatoday> do the idea is that if people need a dvd they can contact someone closer to them to get one
[19:05:30] <kbmonkey> it makes for great excitement, to hold a physical printed disc
[19:05:45] <captine> kbmonkey, for sure
[19:05:50] <Kilos> yes magespawn login
[19:06:11] <amanica> captine: yeah we should do one. will pretoria be ok for you?
[19:06:14] <kbmonkey> Maaz, topic
[19:06:14] <Maaz> kbmonkey: Huh?
[19:06:32] <Kilos> i think well need to get contact peeps in each area again maiatoday the last lot have faded
[19:07:01] <maiatoday> Yeah I always refresh the list before I send, otherwise it is just a waste of postage
[19:07:12] <captine> amanica, will try make a plan. just dread the e-tolls... avoided them thus far
[19:07:30] <amanica> captine: yeah, me too :(
[19:08:01] <Kilos> whats happening kbmonkey ?
[19:08:06] <captine> liamT, would you be good with PTA?
[19:08:21] <kbmonkey> hello magespawn. We are on Events, just discussed SFD and upcoming 14.04 DVD's
[19:08:36] <kbmonkey> Kilos, I thought Maaz would echo the current topic, oh well
[19:08:42] <Kilos> h
[19:08:47] <Kilos> ah too
[19:09:03] <kbmonkey> kekeke
[19:09:06] <liamT> captine: sorry when ?
[19:09:17] <Kilos> i want to enquire about something but dunno when
[19:09:54] <kbmonkey> liamT, captine, if you are on the ubuntu-za mailing list, its good to plan event details there.
[19:10:04] <kbmonkey> as more peeps are on the list than here in irc
[19:10:20] <captine> kbmonkey, thnx. will do
[19:10:31] <kbmonkey> oh dear, we spammed mage :p
[19:10:45] <captine> liamT, no idea on timing. will take kbmonkey advice and turn to the mailing list :)
[19:11:05] <Kilos> you can chat here captine after the meet
[19:11:14] <Kilos> 20 mins more only
[19:11:22] <kbmonkey> by all means decide here if you like! just mail the list, you may find others keen too :)
[19:11:34] <Kilos> then what you decide you put on the list and invite others
[19:11:51] <captine> ah
[19:12:51] <kbmonkey> Maaz, agreed 14.04 release parties planning via mailing list
[19:12:51] <Maaz> Agreed: 14.04 release parties planning via mailing list
[19:12:51] <captine> back onto the dvd's. who would the contact be in Jhb area? Or is that still to be finalized?
[19:13:04] <Golynx> Kilos: its probably safe to enquire now
[19:13:26] <kbmonkey> captine, maiatoday will email the list when we have the DVD's, and we will build a list from there for whoever wants
[19:13:34] <kbmonkey> go ahead Kilos
[19:13:45] <kbmonkey> unless you want to wait for next topic, misc
[19:13:52] <captine> kbmonkey, thanks for clarification. am with the program now... :)
[19:14:08] <kbmonkey> cool captine :]
[19:14:12] <Kilos> i was hoping someone would come up with a good idea on what we can do about the fly's goodie couplaq meets back
[19:14:21] <Kilos> i forget the word now
[19:14:50] <maiatoday> ok I tell you what, I'll start the poll for the dvd contacts before I go. It always takes some time to collect all the addresses.
[19:15:32] <Kilos> remember that thing about the internet in za inetpro
[19:15:52] * kbmonkey prizes maia with a banana
[19:16:09] <Kilos> haha
[19:16:13] <Kilos> survey
[19:16:21] <kbmonkey> Right, we got the SFD and the release parties down
[19:16:24] <Kilos> kbmonkey were you here for the survey?
[19:16:27] <inetpro> Kilos: I'll pass on that for now... nothing I can think of to do
[19:16:33] <kbmonkey> That is all the events I can figure at this time...
[19:17:02] <captine> i was lost with fly's goodie couplaq....
[19:17:06] <kbmonkey> vote to move topic?
[19:17:15] <inetpro> kbmonkey: +1
[19:17:23] <captine> kbmonkey, +1
[19:17:35] <kbmonkey> seconded, motion carried. lol
[19:17:53] <kbmonkey> Maaz, topic Miscellaneous
[19:17:53] <Maaz> Current Topic: Miscellaneous
[19:18:30] <kbmonkey> by the way anybody can shout at me if I go too fast.
[19:19:14] <kbmonkey> Kilos, I am a bit confused about what you were asking just now...
[19:19:34] <captine> for Miscellaneous, I would like to ask if anyone has a listing or reference etc for companies in SA using open source software for running their businesses. e.g. my IT department only has eyes for MS products and believe it is the only supportable software stack etc.
[19:19:55] <Kilos> the fly did a survey here about our local internet and if we were happy with it
[19:19:57] <captine> would be nice to have a reference page etc somewhere
[19:20:00] <maiatoday> ok I just sent a mail to the list so I'll start collecting the addresses. Hopefully we won't have post office strikes
[19:20:12] <maiatoday> thanks for the banana kbmonkey
[19:20:24] <Kilos> there were some complaints and if you watch the net then something should be done about it
[19:20:44] <Kilos> thats what i wanna know from the clever peeps
[19:20:49] <Kilos> what can we do
[19:21:01] <kbmonkey> oh really? that sounds interesting Kilos, I'd like to do that survey
[19:22:16] <Golynx> Kilos i remember that , yeah i wasn't sure why the fly did it
[19:22:21] <Kilos> i just want an idea what each of us can do to rev the powers that be to improve the net
[19:22:21] <kbmonkey> captine, I don't know of any such companies. Vince-0 might actually point out some that use OSS
[19:22:23] <liamT> captine: i don't know of any list.
[19:22:30] <inetpro> kbmonkey: topic was "The current state of Internet in South Africa" in our meeting in January
[19:22:43] <Vince-0> clug wiki has a list,
[19:22:52] <Vince-0> lsd, obsidian, synaq
[19:23:22] <Vince-0> most companies use free software without knowing it
[19:24:49] <Golynx> MTN and Vodacom sueing ICASA is not good news for local internet in the near future i think
[19:25:10] <kbmonkey> ah thanks inetpro !
[19:25:26] <captine> thnx Vince-0 . will check clug out
[19:25:51] <captine> Golynx, agree.
[19:26:17] <amanica> captine: and I think there are a lot of companies that mix and match as needed..
[19:26:59] <amanica> captine: it depends a lot on the experience of the sysadmins, if they are used to something they tend to stick with it..
[19:27:02] <captine> lots is not good. local loop unbundling not happening is apparently bad from what I have read. Also, the poor upload to download ratio on ADSL is, in my view, a killer for small businesses. Slow at reaching your customers is a bad thing
[19:27:39] <captine> amanica, thanks. our company has no sys admins. all being outsourced so going with windows providers... only small group of support staff in hous
[19:27:41] <captine> house
[19:28:24] <kbmonkey> captine, years ago FNB switched to Linux clients, not sure if that is still the case
[19:28:38] <kbmonkey> see
[19:29:31] <kbmonkey> Right, before we get too off course...
[19:29:47] <captine> on the internet topic, I am not sure how we get away from the wireless craziness. the lack of cable investment and available fibre to the home coupled with the quick rollout for 3g and push to LTE makes cable less likely to be a dominant connectivity means... cable is certainly my prefered connectivity
[19:30:28] <captine> thanks kb monkey. i did see ubuntu on fnb machines in East London when visiting the bank there last year
[19:30:32] <kbmonkey> captine, that is interesting because the past 2 years I avoid cables simply to not deal with telkom :P
[19:30:51] <captine> kbmonkey, I hear you
[19:31:09] <kbmonkey> and with the last 3 weeks of dsl line downage in kzn I am glad I don't
[19:31:10] <captine> but to use 200gb a month on wireless is not viable for me
[19:31:17] <Golynx> Many businesses still use winXp
[19:31:29] <Golynx> captine , agree
[19:31:56] <kbmonkey> we're coming up to the end of our meet
[19:32:14] <captine> speaking of win xp, anyone read about the banks in UK etc paying microsoft a killing to support XP for longer, as their ATM's all run it...
[19:32:15] <captine> lol
[19:32:36] <amanica> outch
[19:32:56] <kbmonkey> let us elect next chair and close it off, then we can continue the rants :D
[19:32:59] <captine> kbmonkey, must admit, my ADSL experiences have been very good
[19:33:10] <inetpro> kbmonkey: +1
[19:33:11] <captine> just wish I didnt need to pay the phone line rental
[19:33:13] <Golynx> Kilos lol
[19:33:24] <captine> kbmonkey, +1
[19:33:26] <kbmonkey> Maaz, topic Elect chair for next meeting
[19:33:26] <Maaz> Current Topic: Elect chair for next meeting
[19:33:33] <Kilos> kbmonkey the job is yours
[19:33:41] <kbmonkey> the next meeting is... um .. (checks calcurse)
[19:33:41] <captine> kilos, you beat me to it
[19:33:46] <inetpro> +1
[19:33:48] <Golynx> kbmonkey: +1
[19:33:49] <Kilos> hehe
[19:33:56] <Kilos> and
[19:34:22] <Kilos> you must fight with nuvo for not being here or asking for timeout
[19:34:26] <kbmonkey> the last tuesday right? or the 4th tuesday?
[19:34:43] <inetpro> kbmonkey: 4th Tuesday
[19:34:45] <kbmonkey> because april has 5 tuesdays
[19:34:51] <kbmonkey> ah thanks inet!
[19:35:13] <kbmonkey> Maaz, agreed kbmonkey to chair the meeting on 22 April 2014
[19:35:13] <Maaz> Agreed: kbmonkey to chair the meeting on 22 April 2014
[19:35:30] <kbmonkey> hah Kilos !
[19:35:45] <kbmonkey> he probably got stuck at work. You know how us developers get abused ;)
[19:35:51] <Kilos> hehe jou beurt is jou beurt
[19:36:05] <Kilos> he knows how to let us know
[19:36:11] <kbmonkey> Maaz, topic Closing words
[19:36:11] <Maaz> Current Topic: Closing words
[19:36:25] <maiatoday> thanks kbmonkey
[19:36:26] <kbmonkey> Thanks all for joining! It was great to have your input
[19:36:40] <Kilos> ty kbmonkey well run meet
[19:36:49] <Kilos> not enough coffee
[19:36:55] <kbmonkey> Feel free to stay and rant on, maaz will now don their barissta hat and serve fresh coffee
[19:37:18] <captine> thanks kbmonkey
[19:37:22] <kbmonkey> Maaz, end meeting